Monday, November 26, 2012

Strange but true....

Since i started dieting people have gone out of their way to keep me informed about  what they are eating. Just last night, my friend, Tigeress in the UK who has always been very slim and has never really being into food decided to regale me with what she had been eating and how she had suddenly become a glutton.  I was minding my business at around 9.00pm, watching tv, topping up on water and trying very hard not to watch Come dine with me (more honestly, i was trying not to think about the suya i had in my fridge...don't ask me how it got there!) when my dear "lepa" Tigeress started to ping me frantically on my blackberry.  I asked her what was up and she asked me to check out her DP.  And there was a bowl of spagghetti bolognese with cheese.  She then proceeded to tell me about all the things she had planned to cook for the next month and so and so forth.  After about 5 minutes of this pointless chatting, i had to politely tell her that i was on a very low calorie liquid diet consisting of strictly oats, soups and shakes and that she should never speak to me about food again. Like she didn't know that already!
Tigeress' Spagbol "with cheese and peppers"
The members of my bbm group are also guilty of the same thing.  Since i announced my weight-loss challenge on the group, they have felt the need to post pictures of everything they eat, from the exciting to the downright mundane.  Just the other day, a member of this bbm group came to visit me in the office and i went down with him to have lunch.  I had to sit and watch him polish off a plate of eba and soup whilst i sipped on water and complained  about how unfair it was that i couldn't eat.  That evening as if to worsen my torment, he posted a picture of his dinner of two pieces of fried fish, efo and bread.  Strange combination if you ask me and not particularly exciting but anything to torment Flora!
There is also my friend who is all the way in Lebanon, who makes a point of posting everything that goes in his mouth all day long, and that is a lot.  This is what he posted this morning (are those the yummiest looking eggs or what?).
Apparently this what the lebanese eat for breakfast...don't know how they work together!
Right at the beginning of my diet, another very slim friend of mine posted this with the caption Hello Flora....meet my friends?

Hello Flora....meet my friends!!!
Seriously, how mean can people be?  When i started this diet, part of my strategy was to make sure everyone knew i was dieting and what my targets were. I even started off trying to lose weight for charity but i got such a lukewarm response.   I felt sharing my experience with people would keep me motivated,  but it turns out this is my biggest mistake.  To confirm it, I just found an article on The mail online today with the title "Want to know the secret to successful weight-loss? Don't tell anyone you are on a diet." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2067745/Want-know-secret-successful-weight-loss-Dont-tell-youre-diet.html.  I wish i knew this before i started.  The article however talks about how the compliments you get from people who are trying to be supportive (because they know you are on a diet) might derail as you begin to feel you have accomplished your goals.  Unfortunately, it is not really working out that way for me.  These people are not being supportive! They want me to FAIL!!!.  I should be soo lucky to get compliments.  When i announced that i had lost 5kg in the first week, some people were so quick to point out that it was water weight.

I wonder if people are deliberately trying to sabotage my diet or are they really just insensitive?  Honestly, i think they are just insensitive especially this lot i just told you about....i still love them though.

Next weigh-in is in a couple of days. Will keep y'all posted!!!

3 comments:

  1. My dear friend no vex. LOL!!! That honestly wasn't my intetions. Reached out to you cos i needed you to set me straight. I don't know what has gotten into me- all i think of is food food food 24/7. Before it was sex sex sex due to lack of man. Just before you posted this, I was googling Fish pepper soup recipe. Speaking of which, what's the name of the spice? Or do you know how to make it? Abeg tell me.

    Last Friday I roasted a whole chicken!!! A WHOLE chicken!! Ogini? Dat what? i seasoned it for 24hours and stuffed it with seasoned peppers and mushrooms. When i brought it out feeling like a chef- i then realized how stupid i had been. I no fit chop a whole chicken. Agric chicken for dat matter. why in d world did i buy a whole chicken?? what happened to drubsticks? And no one to share it with. I forced some on my flatmate sha. And SHAIT it tasted good. Toasted raisen bagel chicken sandwich with mayonaese. Now i'm even confused on what to have for dinner. I plan on going grocery shopping after work so I can prepare okro soup with various fish swiming in it. Do i eat eba with fish infested okro soup or a chicken bagel sandwich????

    It was concluded, pent-up agros is now being channeled towards food. Abi? I want it to stop, but I can't. HELP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Tigeress! There you go doing the same thing again.

    My dear, the only way to roast a chicken is whole and i make a mean fish pepper soup...don't even get me started!

    Just say No to food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you now know better than to tell people you're attempting weight loss.If i were on your bbm,i'm torment you with my chicken sauce and spaghetti and macaroni.#Bliss

    ReplyDelete